64-bit workaround


As many of you may know, I run Windows Server 2008 64-bit as my Desktop OS. The reasons are many and expansive. See my previous post on Workstation 2008 for more info.

One of the issues with running W2kOcho or a 64-bit Windows OS is driver support and legacy hardware/software support.

That's where VMware comes in. For a few years, I used a VM of Windows XP to house my Groupwise client. Yes...My employer still used Groupwise. It pains me everytime I check my email! This seperates the horrid GW install from mucking up my OS. Also, it provides portability for my app as I keep it on a USB drive.

So I ran into a problem. After I rebuilt my machines, I could not use the scanning software or drivers for my Brother MCF-240c. I tried the Vista drivers...did not work in this case. After thinking about it, I wondering if I could run the software in a VM using VMware since VMware supports USB.

Answer...Works without a hitch!

Next experiment...Try to run activesync and update my Motorola 9Qc to Mobile 6.1 through the VM.

Stay tuned

Comments

Chris Knuckles said…
Update your blog, slacker!! :)

Seriously, good stuff man.